[ka-Map-users] ka-map vs. ArcGIS

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Mar 27 20:01:07 EST 2007

Tim,

I'm not a former ArcGIS user, but I'd have to say that it all depends
on what you need your solution to do.

ka-Map, MapServer, MapGuide Open Source OpenLayers, MapBuilder,
etc ... are all very capable open source packages with healthy
communities, solid code bases, and a variety of consulting firms
willing and able to support you, but each one has particular
strengths and weaknesses.  None of them (arguably) could compete with
ArcGIS for breadth of functionality at this point in time, but
specific packages will do things better than ArcGIS.  And you have
the advantage of being able to talk directly with the developers, get
bugs fixed, get new functionality etc.

Your best bet is to outline what functionality you need and we'll
point you in the right direction :)

PS if you have the money to buy ArcGIS, you could spend it on getting
trained in open source technologies or having a complete solution
developed for you by someone.