[ka-Map-users] problem with compressed images

Michael Studium mschwarz at stud.hs-heilbronn.de
Thu May 3 10:18:39 EDT 2007

Dear list,
we work with quite big images( JPG ~600 MB) which we would like to display with Mapserver.

Using CGI-parameters it takes a very long time until we see the picture on the bowser.
Therefore we decided to use kamap-tools , because of the support of precaching to speedup.

But we discovered that compressed images like JPG are only displayed up to the size of 40 MB.
The cgi-bin processes has been using all the cpu capacity and even after long period they did not finish.
We had no problems with uncompressed images. But the TIF format is only designed for a size up to 2 (4?) GB, so this doesn't work for our data.
We want to know why compressed images have such limits? And of course what can we do to get kamap working?
and if there is no way: what is the reason for?

we are running:ms4w with default configurations

Our mapfile:
MAP
    SIZE 400 300
    IMAGETYPE PNG