[ka-Map-users] Future of ka-map?

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Jan 8 22:42:11 EST 2008

Hi ka-Mappers ... sorry for the delay in my response, I was taking a
real vacation!

I feel, as the original author of much of ka-Map, that I should
provide some sort of statement on this subject :)

As some people have mentioned in this thread, and in other
discussions, ka-Map has not changed in more than a year, and was
pretty stable before that for quite some time.  Folks are wondering
whether it is going to receive any more attention from the developers
and if they should consider it for an upcoming mapping project.

Originally, ka-Map was built as an example of how to solve a specific
type of web-mapping problem, specifically to provide a more
interactive navigation experience for applications which could live
with the limitations of rendering tiles into a cache.  We made it
available under an open source license in the hopes of attracting a
community of users and developers who could move the project forward
in a cooperative way.  Early on, we did succeed in gaining the support
of quite a few users and some key developers, including Lorenzo,
Andreas, Tim, and others.  However, we never did succeed in
establishing an effective community-driven mechanism for controlling
the vision and direction of the project.  So once the project reached
a point where it solved the pains of the developers involved, it
stopped progressing.  A lack of leadership, vision and direction in
the project has essentially stopped further development.

When OpenLayers was released, the surface similarity between
OpenLayers and ka-Map seemed to indicate that some sort of merger
between the projects would be desirable.  In the end, though, the two
projects had sufficiently different goals and design principles that a
direct merger didn't seem to be the right way to go.  Instead, it was
felt that ka-Map could incorporate OpenLayers to manage the client-
side tiling stuff, while retaining the relatively simple configuration
stuff that makes it very easy to use with mapserver to set up new
applications ... and retaining the UI developed by Lorenzo.  While a
great idea in principle, this never actually got done.  Why?  Well, to
be honest, I don't think that making this change was important to any
of the developers on the project.  First of all, ka-Map already did
everything that they needed it to do for its developers, so there was
no incentive to make the change.  Second, most of the developers of ka-
Map had already become involved in OpenLayers separately and were
starting to use and develop it independently of ka-Map ... again, no
incentive to work on ka-Map when they had a workable alternative.

Active open source developers are a rare commodity, usually with
limited time, and they tend to gravitate to projects that both
interest them and provide a healthy environment for them to contribute
in.  I think OpenLayers has done a much better job of setting up this
type of environment, and so it is attracting a lot of development
activity.

For me personally, OpenLayers solves my problem as an application
developer because I can use ka-Map tiles or TileCache or WMS or any
number of other data sources easily, and I am comfortable doing a bit
more work in javascript to get the application set up.  A lot of
'cool' stuff is happening in the OpenLayers project, and it has an
active, supportive development community that I enjoy being a part
of.  So I'm spending my time trying to support and advance that
project rather than ka-Map.

The future of ka-Map really depends on whether someone with some
energy and vision assumes some leadership for the project and is able
to generate some enthusiasm to move it forward in some way.  At this
point, I really don't see much happening with it.  And I can't really
imagine a situation where it would be significantly easier or more
advantageous to use ka-Map over OpenLayers, although ka-Map may have
some quite minor advantages due to its server-side pieces that
OpenLayers does not directly have.  But there are projects like
MapFish that are providing the server-side links and building on
OpenLayers on the client side, so that it starting to change too.

If there are folks out there that are really interested in ka-Map and
want to be involved, I encourage you to come forward and take a
leadership role in the project.