[ka-Map-users] Future of ka-map?

The Bun rosario.carbone at ipl.com
Tue Jan 22 11:38:16 EST 2008

> Roman Meier-2 wrote:
>
> Hi list
>
> I developed a prototype based on ka-map about one year ago. At that time I
> was
> very much convinced that ka-map is a great product with a great future.
> I’m not
> that sure again.

Hi Roman
your concerns were my concerns too, I'd like to explain what I did at the
end. I needed more client side functionalities than the ones supported by
kaMap and I also was not too quick at developing in Javascript, I did a lot
anyway with my kaMap prototypes but I realized that all my efforts on the
client were already available using OpenLayers.

Anyway I liked the way kaMap caches the tiles, I like the performances, the
quality and the fact that is easy and considering that my server application
is MapServer I decided to use OpenLayers for the client JavaScript and using
kaMap as layer of OpenLayer in the middle with MapServer.

Now my prototypes fly, the Javascript code I have to write on the client is
minimum and all stay in one page, the kaMap part (tile.php and config.php)
works perfect and it is easy to manage, on MapServer most of the time I only
need to work on the mapfile.

Eeasily I can read all the formats I like, through MapServer or directly by
the client with OpenLayers: ESRI, MapInfo, Oracle Spatial, MySQL, Google
Maps, Microsoft Visual Earth, raster and vector.

Ciao
Rosario