[ka-Map-users] Accessing attribute tables as labels for features

Pēteris Brūns peteris.bruns at gmail.com
Thu May 29 11:34:04 EDT 2008

Your layer description is without label definitions.
It should be writen so:
LAYER
  GROUP "GenFac"
   NAME genfac
   TYPE POINT
   STATUS OFF
   DATA "mydata/genfac.shp"
   LABELCACHE ON
   LABELITEM discr
   CLASS
     NAME "GenFac"
     STYLE
       SYMBOL "star"
       SIZE 10
       COLOR 000 165 255
     END
#you need label block in class for labeling

    LABEL
      #...here mus be your label description
    END

   END
 END

see map file documentation as previously Luca wrote
Here is described label block parameters
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/mapfile/label

pb