[ka-Map-users] queryByAttributes and projection

TC Haddad tchaddad at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 13:07:29 EST 2009

Hi Bob,

I have a similar drop down in our ka-map application that does a zoom
to location. And in our case, the javascript just uses a list of
spatial bookmarks, so no attribute queries are involved at all. This
seemed like it would work fastest, though I never needed to try your
way.

Anyhow, if you wanted to try that method I can send you the script.
It's fairly straightforward - just feed in a list of locations and
coordinates, and it builds the list. In your case I guess the coords
you would want to feed it are in lat/long (since that is the display
coordinates of you map now).

As to you original question - my guess is that it is failing because
when the  queryByAttributes happens it uses the extent of the found
shape as the "zoom to coords", and since your data is really still in
UTM, it is trying to zoom to UTM coords on a Lat/Long map, which won't
work.  To make this approach work you would have to reproject the
found extent on the fly, before allowing the view extent to refresh.

If your drop down list is static and not very long, I think a basic
list of spatial bookmarks will still  be quicker.

Tanya