MapTools.org

[maplab-users] maplab configuration

Paul Spencer pgs@magma.ca
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 08:55:41 -0400
Mark, the tutorial.map file has no IMAGETYPE set, so by default
MapScript will attempt to produce the output image in GIF format.  I
suspect you are using precompiled binaries for Windows and these
probably don't have GIF support.  You can modify the map file to use an
IMAGETYPE of PNG - this setting is part of the Map object in MapEdit.

For the tmp stuff, the location of the tmp directories is controlled by
a couple of settings in the Web object of your map file.  The tutorial
map file is set up to conform to our (DM Solutions Group) convention
which is:

IMAGEPATH "/tmp/ms_tmp/ " #absolute path to temp directory for mapscript
files
IMAGEURL "/ms_tmp/" #url to access files in the IMAGE_PATH

This means that there is a tmp directory in the root of the drive that
you installed apache/mapscript in, in this case c:\ I think.  So you
would need to have c:\tmp\ms_tmp created.

The IMAGEURL means that your apache configuration understands that the
path http://<server-url>/ms_tmp/ maps to c:\tmp\ms_tmp, normally on
windows you would do this using an Alias /ms_tmp/ "c:\tmp\ms_tmp\" in
your httpd.conf file.

You  can set up any "ms_tmp" directory and url, but you will need to
make sure that your map file and you httpd.conf file are set up correctly.

Your maplab configuration files have a TMP_IMG_PATH and a TMP_MAP_PATH
setting.  These are somewhat independent of the mapfile settings but we
do expect that the paths exist.  Normally, I would set these two values
to be c:\tmp.  Be aware that MapLab saves temporary copies of your
mapfile while you are working on it, and if you put TMP_MAP_PATH in a
web-accessible directory then there is a potential for someone to access
a copy of your mapfile and use that to guess path information on your
computer, this may be a potential security problem.

Cheers,

Paul