MapTools.org

[maplab-users] Re: [mapserver-users] scale dependent layers

woodbri@swoodbridge.com woodbri@swoodbridge.com
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 17:15:54 -0400
On 13 Sep 2002 at 11:44, Paul Spencer wrote:

> Steven, we are going to fix up the legend handling stuff in maplab,
> probably as follows:
>
> 1. gmapfactory - add capability to track the status of all layers
> regardless of whether they are in the legend or not.  The legend will
> only be used to make layers visible/not visible.  If a layer that was
> previously not visible due to scale becomes visible after a zoom, the
> layer will appear in the legend with its current status
> (on|default/off).  If the layer goes out of scale, any user changes to
> status will be remembered.

This makes sense to me.

> 2. mapbrowser and mapedit preview - all layers are in the legend at
> all times.  The current mechanism is not intelligent enough to
> determine that a user turned a layer of or it went out of scale.  This
> will be updated to include logic for determining if a layer went out
> of scale and will preserve the layer status but dim the layer name in
> the legend.
>   (I hope that makes sense)

This sounds great. In fact I do not think you want the layers here to
be hidden. It is important to be able to see what is happening when.
So graying the layer when it is out of scale it good.

> There is currently no time frame for this.

No problem. Sounds like a good plan for when you get to it.

-Steve W.