MapTools.org

[maplab-users] MapLab - MapInfo support

Daniel Morissette morissette@dmsolutions.ca
Mon, 06 Jan 2003 15:29:47 -0500
expander expander wrote:

> Well, although I'm still fighting with some troubles in configuring PHP, before ending to tune MapLab, I wonder (and I ask to you) which is
> correct procedure to import Mapinfo (4.x version) native .tab files.
> I'm going to use a very complex structured cartography with many layers in .tab format: which preliminary procedures are necessary to work with MapInfo files?
> Have I to convert / transform these files in any way?
> Thank you for any help.

If you use MapServer/MapScript compiled with OGR support then you do not
need to convert your files at all, they will be read directly in their
native format (all the DLLs on our download site do include OGR
support).

When you use MapEdit to setup your layer, instead of using a "DATA"
statement you will have to use "CONNECTIONTYPE OGR" and then set
CONNECTION to be your TAB filename, e.g.

     LAYER
        NAME "Builtup_Areas_tab"
        TYPE POLYGON
        CONNECTIONTYPE OGR
        CONNECTION "data/tab/092b06_builtup_a.tab"
        STATUS ON
        CLASS
        END
     END

For more information on setting up TAB layers in MapServer, see:
  http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc36/ogr-howto.html

Daniel
 Daniel Morissette               morissette@dmsolutions.ca