MapTools.org

[maplab-users] new post for MapScript RH7.3 installation

Charlton Purvis cpurvis@asgnet.psc.sc.edu
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 13:59:08 -0500
Hi, folks:

I have spent the last couple of days wrestling w/ installations, and I have submitted a new post to the MapServer Wiki (http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?PHPMapScriptRH73) for RedHat 7.3 aficionados.

I certainly do not profess to be an expert, so if I have grossly mislead anyone,  I apologize.

The fundamental changes that I made to the original RH72 doc (http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?PHPMapScriptRH72) include:

* installing GD-2.0.7 (w/ GIF)
* a modification of two source files (./ext/gd/gd.c and ./ext/gd/gd_ctx.c), part of PHP 4
* a modification of the ./configure that is part of the PHP 4 build
* a modification of the ./configure that is part of the MapServer build
* addition of a new symbolic link for the MapServer build
* modification of the GMAP demo .map file to provide a complete pathname for the FONTSET

So there you have it.  I believe that I've got a working system, and the installation of MapLab 2.0rc3 (http://www.dmsolutions.ca/techserv/maplab.html) was pretty painless (had to modify ./map file for the FONTSET again).  What a wonderful suite of apps!

I'm sure some of you wizards could explain why I hacked through some of the stuff the way I did.  And I'd welcome it (so would the Wiki post, if you please), because I can't!

Sorry if the cross-posting is inappropriate.  It wouldn't be my first time.

Good luck.

Charlton Purvis
(803) 777-4453 : voice
(803) 777-8833 : fax