MapTools.org

[maplab-users] MapScript Backwards compatibility?

Daniel Morissette morissette@dmsolutions.ca
Mon, 03 Mar 2003 10:39:52 -0500
"Tweedy, Scott" wrote:

> In my code I have references to the size member of the ClassObj Class.  In
> the hierarchy of MapScript_37 this member has been moved to the StyleObj
> Class.  Are there plans to make MapScript_37 backwards compatible with older
> versions of MapScript, or should be rewrite older code?

No, there are no plans to make MapScript backwards compatible.  MapLab
will eventually be upgraded to produce 3.7-compatible code, but
MapScript itself won't be changed.

I realize this lack of backwards compatibility can be a pain for
developers, but OTOH there are also important drawbacks (especially with
performance) if you carry old legacy stuff just for the sake of
backwards compatibility.

Daniel
 Daniel Morissette               morissette@dmsolutions.ca