MapTools.org

[maplab-users] help for the newbye

Zak James zak-ms@hoppsan.org
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:34:51 -0500
Gianluigi,

On Feb 26, 2004, at 8:32 AM, Gianluigi Nozza wrote:

> After 4 days of tries and headaches I was able to set up a working
> system with IIS, PHP, mapserver, PHP mapscript and maplab.
> Chameleon still doesn't work!

You should ask about this on the chameleon-users list at maptools. Try
to provide details of any errors you see.

> I have seen that the rosa applet automatically included in the
> Gmf_factory applications does not include
> the measure distance applet, but I read someone was able to include it.
> I tried to understand how from the list, but I coudn't. A very simple
> step by step help will be greatly appreciated.

Rosa is a java applet so you would need to code measure distance
functionality into it. I don't think that it's built in; can someone
correct me on this? Maybe someone who has extended it will allow you to
use their version in your application.

> I have seen different applications offering the capability of
> searching features (such as a specific town, or a specific road)
> and to zoom out automatically to those features, how can this task be
> accomplished ?, or where I have to start from...?

That kind of functionality may be possible using mapserver in cgi mode,
depending on what you want. Otherwise, you probably want to use
chameleon, rather than trying to extend the gmapfactory application; it
isn't really designed to be extended beyond what is available in the
maplab interface.
cgi mode:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?CGIMapServer

Your questions on searching for features can better be answered on the
mapserver-users list (mapserver-users@lists.gis.umn.edu)

> Finally I have seen that the colour_picker java tool does not work on
> my system, it display only an empty window and nothing else
> without displaying error messages of any kind. Any solution ?

Do you have java working? What is your platform?

zak

--
Zak James