[maplab-users] How to convert shapefiles to mapfiles

rosy sakura whitesakura81 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 11 06:48:48 EST 2005

Hi to all,

 I tried to follow the tutorial in maplab in order to
understand the projection stuff. When it comes to
adding a layer in tutorial, i tried to fill in url
field this server
http://www2.dmsolutions.ca/cgi-bin/mswms_gmap and then
error occured saying that

fopen(http://www2.dmsolutions.ca/cgi-bin/mswms_gmap?REQUEST=Capabilities):
failed to open stream: Connection timed out in
/usr/local/apache/htdocs/maplab-2.0-release/htdocs/common/phpwms/server_data_manager.php
on line 1844

 i tried with different server too but it fails.Thus,
i cannot follow the adding a projection object in
tutorial. Please help me find the solutions.

 Thank you in advance..

--- Zak James <zak4ms at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A mapfile can reference shapefiles, but you can't
> change a shapefile
> into a mapfile. Maplab can edit mapfiles but not
> shapefiles. You need
> another tool like OpenEV, Jump or ArcView to do
> that.
>
> If you follow the tutorial that comes with Maplab,
> you'll see what a
> LAYER needs to contain to create a reference to a
> shapefile within a
> mapfile. If you have other data, just duplicate an
> existing layer and
> replace the DATA argument with the name of your
> shapefile. This
> assumes that the two share the same projection and
> have overlapping
> extents. If you do that, you should see your data
> rendered in the map.
>
> zak
> --
> --
> Zak James
> Applications and Software Development
> DM Solutions Group Inc.
> http://www.dmsolutions.ca
>

> On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 23:33:13 -0800 (PST), rosy sakura
> <whitesakura81 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> >  Could anyone please tell me who to convert
> shapefiles
> > to mapfiles using maplab? I have the shapefiles
> but i
> > dont know how to modify that shapefiles using
> > maplab.It sounds really easy but i am a
> beginner...
> >
> >  Looking forward to hear from you.
> >  Thank you very much.
> >
> > My Mapscript output.
> >
> > MapServer version 4.4.0 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG
> > OUTPUT=WBMP OUTPUT=PDF SUPPORTS=PROJ
> SUPPORTS=FREETYPE
> > SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT
> INPUT=EPPL7
> > INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE
> >
> > =====
> >
> > learn to control instict will develop the ability
> itself...( )

=====

learn to control instict will develop the ability itself...( )