[maplab-users] How to convert shapefiles to mapfiles

Zak James zak4ms at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 15:02:52 EST 2005

Hi,

A mapfile can reference shapefiles, but you can't change a shapefile
into a mapfile. Maplab can edit mapfiles but not shapefiles. You need
another tool like OpenEV, Jump or ArcView to do that.

If you follow the tutorial that comes with Maplab, you'll see what a
LAYER needs to contain to create a reference to a shapefile within a
mapfile. If you have other data, just duplicate an existing layer and
replace the DATA argument with the name of your shapefile. This
assumes that the two share the same projection and have overlapping
extents. If you do that, you should see your data rendered in the map.

zak
Zak James