[maplab-users] Map doesn't appear in the map-extent

kgrootendorst at baird.com kgrootendorst at baird.com
Wed Jun 8 17:18:35 EDT 2005

Bimal,
It's critical that you change your extents to match the data you want to
show.
For example, I've built an application that shows all the Great Lakes
(Canada-USA) in a 'lat-long' coordinate system.
In my map file, I've defined the extents as:

EXTENT -93 38 -74 51  #xmin ymin xmax ymax  NAD 83

If my shapefile is not in this extent (like a shapefile of India), I will
not see it.

Also, you don't have to define a projection in your map file, as long as
all your input datasets have the same spatial reference.
If you plan to reproject on the fly, then you will have to define this
parameter.

Kevin
______________________________

Bimal Achary <bimal.achary at gmail.com>
Sent by: maplab-users-bounces at lists.maptools.org
06/08/2005 06:58 AM
Please respond to
Bimal Achary <bimal.achary at gmail.com>

maplab-users at lists.maptools.org
cc

Subject
[maplab-users] Map doesn't appear in the map-extent

Hi All,

        I'm a new user of MapLab-2.2.I belongs to India.

I have created a map file named "test.map". where i want to add india
as a layer.I'm getting every thing correct(Like legend bar,scale
bar,tools etc) but not getting any view on the map extent.

My shape file is not in any projection system .This is simply
geo-referenced.

Also i'm not providing any projection system for this.have i to define
it??

I have taken the Map extents as it was in the tutorial map file .Have
i to change this as per the geo-graphic location(though i don't think
so).

Any-thing wrong am i doing??Kindly tell me the procedure to correct it.

Thanks to all in advance for the supports.

Regards,
Bimal Pr.Achary.
GIS Software Engineer
UNDP,Orissa