[Mapserver-west] user defined map point

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Sat Jun 25 12:15:45 EDT 2005

Hi Jeramie,
It's always good to hear from you.

> I have a mapping app using mapserver on IIS 6.0 on a windows 2003 server
> and we currently map real estate projects in the northern California area..
> So basically a user of the application chooses a few projects in a given
> area and the mapserver comes up with those projects plotted on the map to
> show their geographic relation to one another along with major roadways
> (which I'm having problems with as well, but I'll hit you guys up for info
> on that later).

Are you using the CGI version of MapServer or are you scripting it?  I'm
guessing it's the same as you were using earlier which was straight CGI.

> What we need to be able to add is the ability for a user
> to click a spot on the map and have the map add a marker at that point.. we
> would then allow the user to enter in a project name and some other info
> and print it out..  so the question is I guess, is there a way to pass a
> variable that defines the location on that map back to mapserver and have
> it put a marker at that point.. I think I can handle the rest of it.

Sorry, but I don't have an example for you on this one.  It's becoming an
increasingly common question though, for sure.  I've seen an example of
exactly this on the Chameleon mailing list.  In fact, with the Chameleon
mapping framework it has a tool for doing this very thing.

You can see it in action on this demo:
http://spatialguru.com/chameleon/samples/sample_enhanced.phtml
The top-right tool (a pin with a "+" sign) allows you to click a point on the
map and enter text.  The printing functions are also really great.  Chameleon
using PHP and comes with all this functionality "out-of-the-box".

Hope that helps!

Tyler