[Mobile GIS] GIS on mobile devices

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Mon Oct 2 15:33:31 EDT 2006

To all,

  I enjoyed the FOSS4GEO BOF Mobile session, especially hearing the various
use-cases (and the meeting notes are great!)

   On a related note, I need to get started on investigation into porting a
command-line serial GPS communication application to an iPaq running Windows
Mobile 5.0.  While I'm doing that I thought I would get some discussion
started on directions for an Open Source Mobile GIS, specifically:

    Language: C/C++ (my preference), or Java?
    GUI: wxWidgets? (my preference), QT?, (or whatever is in J2ME)?

My Desired Mobile GIS Application:
        - O/S: Windows Mobile 5.0 (preferred), and linux
        - Source: C/C++ ((I prefer Frank Warmerdam's C-like C++)
        - GUI lib: wxWidgets's wxEmbedded
        - Graphics: displays (with pan, zoom) vector and raster maps
        - Application: navigation, and GIS feature collection (a must-have)
        - License: GPL

And Some existing Open Source Apps:
--------------------------------------
GpsDrive        http://www.kraftvoll.at/software/
        - O/S: linux, not Windows
        - Source: C
        - GUI lib: GTK+
        - Graphics: displays maps (pan, zoom)
        - Application: navigation, not GIS feature collection
        - License: GPL

RoadMap         http://roadmap.digitalomaha.net/
        - O/S: linux, and prelim. Windows support
        - Source: C
        - GUI lib: GTK 1.2, GTK 2.0, or QT3
        - Graphics: displays vector maps (pan, zoom)
        - Application: navigation, not GIS feature collection
        - License: GPL

Navlet          http://www.navlet.org/
        - O/S: not O/S-specific
        - Source: Java (J2ME)
        - GUI lib: Java
        - Graphics: displays maps
        - Application: navigation, not GIS feature collection
        - License: GPL

Comments are appreciated!

Brent Fraser
GeoAnalytic Inc.