[Mobile GIS] GIS on mobile devices

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Mon Oct 2 18:33:45 EDT 2006

Bob,

  Good point.  Linux is running on some mighty small devices, and there's
Windows XP Embedded from Microsoft as an attempt to slim down Windows.

   On the other hand, I think there is a demand for a hand-held (sub-set of
mobile) GIS Data Collection and Navigation system, just to be able to walk
around with it.  So far, the capabilities of a hand-held tend to be much
less than a laptop and I expect that trend to continue.  It would be great
to have a system scalable from hand-held to laptop, and I don't think that
would be too difficult. Just design for:

        - performance so the hand-held processors don't choke
        - small screens (320x240) as well as large laptop displays
        - allow for alternate input devices, e.g. pen

To get philosophical, hand-held development will likely always be "special"
(w.r.t. Windows anyways).  When hand-helds have the capabilities of today's
laptops, the laptops will be running a 64-bit o/s, and that will be the most
popular development target.

That being said, I think the OQO running XP would be perfect if I was going
to outfit a GIS department for data collection.  Hmm if I can buy an iPaq
for $400, should I buy a $1600 OQO? Depends on the application software?

Brent