MapTools.org

[ms4w-users] Layers added but not displayed !!!!

Dharani Babu dharanibabus@hotmail.com
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 17:11:47 +0530
Hi all ,
I am new bie who started working on mapserver with the help of the members
of this group. ( credit goes to Tyler Mitchell ) .
I am trying to render TIGER files with OGR CONNECTION TYPE. I downloaded the
tiger files  and have rendered the completechain of new hampshire -
rockingham county . Its cool . I found the extent , layers details with
ogrinfo .exe of GDAL . The output of ogrinfo <tiger folder> gaveme the
following list of layers ::
Had to open data source read-only.
INFO: Open of `c:/ms4w/apache/htdocs/demof/data/rm'
using driver `TIGER' successful.
1: CompleteChain (Line String)
2: AltName (None)
3: FeatureIds (None)
4: ZipCodes (None)
5: Landmarks (Point)
6: AreaLandmarks (None)
7: KeyFeatures (None)
8: Polygon (None)
9: EntityNames (Point)
10: IDHistory (None)
11: PolyChainLink (None)
12: PIP (Point)
13: TLIDRange (None)
14: ZipPlus4 (None)
Now I can see the CompleteChain which displays the line work of the county .
And I added the layers for Landmarks ( 5) , EntityNames (9) , PIP ( 12) also
. Now I got a map with dots everywhere denoting landmarks and PIP . But I
dont find any of the “Entity Names “ Why so ? And more over I expect the
addition of Entity Names will display the Locations , city names , landmark
names etc on the map . Am I right ? or missing something ? And what are the
significance of other layers like AltName , FeatureIDs ,ZipCodes vis-vis
rendering the map ?
When I tried to add the layers without geometry (TYPE  none ) what should be
the TYPE value in LAYER definition ? And Can I add them as layers first of
all ??Are they renderable or they are meant for some other purpose ??:)
My map file is as follows . Could any of you help  me ? Thanks in advance
dharani

#
# Start of map file
#
NAME DEMO
STATUS ON
SIZE 800 800
EXTENT -71.451310 42.737590 -70.575094 43.274201
#UNITS DEGREES
SHAPEPATH "C:/ms4w/apache/htdocs/demof/data/rm/"
IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255

IMAGETYPE png

#
# Projection definition, consult the PROJ.4 documentation for parameter
discussi
#
#PROJECTION
#  "proj=utm"
#  "ellps=GRS80"
#  "zone=10"
#  "north"
#  "no_defs"
#  "init=EPSG:26910"
#END

#
# Start of web interface definition
#
WEB
  HEADER tiger
  TEMPLATE temp_rm2.html
  FOOTER demo_footer.html
#  MINSCALE 1000
#  MAXSCALE 1550000
  IMAGEPATH "C:/ms4w/apache/htdocs/temp_rm2/"
  IMAGEURL "/temp_rm2/"
  # LOG "demo.log"
END

QUERYMAP
  SIZE 200 200
  STATUS ON
  STYLE HILITE
  COLOR 255 0 0
END

#
# Start of reference map
#
REFERENCE
  IMAGE graphics/dem.gif
  EXTENT 481314.93 5620068.63 703440.19 5837331.76
  SIZE 200 192
  STATUS OFF
  COLOR -1 -1 -1
  OUTLINECOLOR 255 0 0
END

#
# Start of legend
#
LEGEND
  KEYSIZE 18 12
  LABEL
    TYPE BITMAP
    SIZE MEDIUM
    COLOR 0 0 89
  END
  STATUS ON
END

#
# Setting up output formats
#

OUTPUTFORMAT
  NAME png
  DRIVER "GD/PNG"
  MIMETYPE "image/png"
  IMAGEMODE RGB #PC256
  EXTENSION "png"
END

#
# Start of scalebar
#
SCALEBAR
  IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255
  LABEL
    COLOR 255 255 255
    SIZE tiny
  END
  STYLE 1
  SIZE 50 2
  COLOR 255 255 255
  UNITS KILOMETERS
  INTERVALS 1
  TRANSPARENT TRUE
  STATUS TRUE
END

SYMBOL
  NAME "circle"
  TYPE ellipse
  FILLED true
  POINTS
    1 1
  END
END

#
# Start of layer definitions
#

LAYER
GROUP tigerdata
NAME tiger1
TYPE LINE
STATUS DEFAULT
CONNECTIONTYPE OGR
CONNECTION "C:/ms4w/apache/htdocs/demof/data/rm"
DATA "CompleteChain"
CLASS
SYMBOL "circle"
SIZE 1
COLOR 200 0 0
END
END

LAYER
GROUP tigerdata
NAME tiger5
TYPE POINT
STATUS DEFAULT
CONNECTIONTYPE OGR
CONNECTION "C:/ms4w/apache/htdocs/demof/data/rm"
DATA "Landmarks"
CLASS
SYMBOL "circle"
SIZE 4
COLOR 0 200 0
END
END

LAYER
GROUP tigerdata
NAME tiger9
TYPE POINT
STATUS DEFAULT
CONNECTIONTYPE OGR
CONNECTION "C:/ms4w/apache/htdocs/demof/data/rm"
DATA "EntityNames"
CLASS
SYMBOL "circle"
SIZE 1
COLOR 0 0 200
END
END

LAYER
GROUP tigerdata
NAME tiger12
TYPE POINT
STATUS DEFAULT
CONNECTIONTYPE OGR
CONNECTION "C:/ms4w/apache/htdocs/demof/data/rm"
DATA "PIP"
CLASS
SYMBOL "circle"
SIZE 1