[ms4w-users] OGR MySQL support

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 11:59:13 EDT 2005

On 9/13/05, Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] <Tom.Kralidis at ec.gc.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have a project in which we use OGR's virtual spatial option with a
> MySQL connection in the .ovf file.  We have this working in a UNIX
> environment successfully.
>
> We have a dev environment which is on Windows and are using the latest
> ms4w.  The OGR does have MySQL support:
>
> Can anyone suggest how we can have this functionality?  Not sure if we
> need a custom build of OGR?

Tom,

I think you can get the same access to a mysql database
on windows using ODBC.  The direct mysql support in
OGR was mainly implemented to avoid the hassle of
setting up ODBC on unix.

If you really need the direct mysql support you would
indeed need a custom build.  In fact, I'm not sure that
I have ever built the direct mysql support on windows.