[ms4w-users] How to compile additional GDAL/OGR drivers

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Feb 15 08:49:34 EST 2006

Frédéric Trastour wrote:
> Hello,
>
> for an intranet app, I need to use Mapserver (ms4w 1.4.0) with my own GDAL & OGR plugins.
>
> Which version of GDAL/OGR should I use to compile my drivers ?
> Is there a compatible FWTools package that I could use ?

Frédéric,

The current MS4W (1.4.0 I think?) is built with GDAL/OGR 1.3.1 so that is
what you should use to build any plugins.  Also, make sure you use the same
compiler which I think was VC6.

You can't practically use FWTools plugins with MS4W because FWTools is built
from CVS head, and so has no matching version for MS4W.  FWTools also names
it's GDAL DLL oddly (GDAL_FW.DLL) which also prevents using it or plugins
built against it, as drop ins for MS4W or other packages.

Note that Howard Butler is developing a "windows build kit" that should
alleviate this in the future.  Packages built on a particular version of
it can interchanges plugins freely.  I believe MS4W will be using it at
some point.