[ms4w-users] New user to MS4W configuration problem with Itasca/Demo

john rust imgahn2u at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 9 13:38:23 EDT 2006

Jeff,

  Ok - again thank you for your patience.
  Here are the steps I took this time... nothing more ... nothing less.
  Thank you for your patience.......... Very Much appreciated.
  - John

  1) From cmd window ( cd c:/ms4w_2.0/ms4w apache-uninstall.bat) results below:
     C:\ms4w_2.0\ms4w>apache-uninstall.bat
    The Apache Web Server service is stopping.
    The Apache Web Server service has stopped.
    Removing the Apache Web Server service
    The Apache Web Server service has been removed successfully.

  2) Renamed c:/ms4w to c:/ms4w-old

  3) Unzipped ms4w_2.0 to c:/ms4w
      The unzip resulted in directory structure c:/ms4w/ms4w......
      c:/ms4w
      c:/ms4w/ms4w/apache
      c:/ms4w/ms4w/apps
      c:/ms4w/ms4w/gdaldata
      c:/ms4w/ms4w/httpd.d
      c:/ms4w/ms4w/proj
      c:/ms4w/ms4w/tmp
      c:/ms4w/ms4w/tools
     (>>>note the nested level of ms4w directories<<<)
     (I assumed there should only be one level of ms4w)

  4) I corrected the double level of c:/ms4w/ms4w directories and resulted in this directory structure.

  c:/ms4w
  c:/ms4w/apache
  c:/ms4w/apps
  c:/ms4w/gdaldata
  c:/ms4w/httpd.d
  c:/ms4w/proj
  c:/ms4w/tmp
  c:/ms4w/tools

  5) At cmd window, went to c:/ms4w directory and installed apache with results:
      C:\ms4w>apache-install.bat
    The Apache Web Server service is starting.
    The Apache Web Server service was started successfully.

  6) In IE typed  Http://localhost which resulted in the ms4w web page being displayed:
  (see below for result)
  MS4W - MapServer 4 Windows  Introduction  Welcome to MS4W v2.0, the MapServer package for Windows. This package is intended to simplify your life if you are:

   a novice mapserver user who doesn't want to learn how to set up map server windows just yet ...
   any mapserver user who needs a quick and dirty installation on Windows ...
   you're giving a workshop and you want 15 identical machines quickly ...

  7) Unzip of mapserv_demo_ms4w results in this directory structure :

  c:/mapserv_demo_ms4w
  c:/mapserv_demo_ms4w/ms4w
  c:/mapserv_demo_ms4w/ms4w/apache
  c:/mapserv_demo_ms4w/ms4w/apps
  c:/mapserv_demo_ms4w/ms4w/httpd.d
  c:/mapserv_demo_ms4w/ms4w/apps/mapserv_demo
  c:/mapserv_demo_ms4w/ms4w/apps/mapserv_demo/index.html

  8) Double click: c:/mapserv_demo_ms4w/ms4w/apps/mapserv_demo/index.html
  Results in the initial demo web page:
    MapServer Itasca Application
---------------------------------
    This demonstration application will take you through various levels of complexity. Starting with a basic application that allows a user to pan/zoom and change layers we add:
   dynamically configured scalebars
   javascript-based panning
   query results to a frame
   and finally, a DHTML rubber-band zoom/query capabilty
  The base data is the old-reliable Itasca dataset that we know and love...    [input]   [input]   [input]   [input]   [input]   [input]   [input]   [input]   Basic Application  -- Adds second scalebar  -- Adds pan controls  -- Adds frames  -- Adds dhtml rubber-band box  [input]

  9) When I click initialize button - nothing happens.
   (I do not get the question: Do you want to run c:/ms4w/apache/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?)

  10) Click on add dhtml rubber band and then intialize...
  this results in (red area where map should be and controls dislpayed - but no map is displayed):

    MapServer - Itasca Application
---------------------------------

                              Choose an Action:
 [input]  Browse map
 [input]  Query feature
 [input]  Query multiple features
---------------------------------
    Select Layers to Display:
 AirportsCitiesLakes & RiversStreamsRoadsTownshipsUSGS 1:250,000 Quads
 [input]
    Zoom Controls:
Zoom In  [input]  Pan  [input]  Zoom Out  [input]    Zoom Size  [input]
    Legend:

    back to start         document.write("" + args.map_web_template + "");    itasca_adds_dhtml.html