[ms4w-users] New user to MS4W configuration problem with Itasca/Demo

john rust imgahn2u at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 10 12:07:49 EDT 2006

Jeff,

  Sorry about not responding to the mailing list.
  Just determined to get mapserv software running and included
  in the project for the on-line biological survey database.

  Here is what was done this time, and the results. I know this is a slow
  and iterative process... but am willing to work with it until it works.
  Just don't understand why its not working for me. Have done nothing
  to change the mapserv directory,  files, or configuration since last time
  we e-mailed.  Apache Web server is still up and running.

  Extracted the mapserv_demo_ms4w.zip to the existing directory c:/ms4w

  It resulted in creating these additional files which were added to the
  existing c:/ms4w directory structure.

  c:/ms4w/appache/htdocs/mapserv-demo.pkg.html
  c:/ms4w/httpd.d/httpd_mapserv_demo.conf
  c:/ms4w/apps/mapserv_demo/index.html
  c:/ms4w/apps/mapserv_demo/itasca.map
  c:/ms4w/apps/mapserv_demo/itasca_adds_dhtml.html
  etc. (other demo files).

  The contents of the file c:/ms4w/httpd.d/httpd_mapserv_demo.conf
  are pasted below:
  Alias /mapserv-demo/ "/ms4w/apps/mapserv-demo/"

  <Directory "/ms4w/apps/mapserv-demo/">
     AllowOverride None
     Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Multiviews
     Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
  </Directory>

  The contents of c:/ms4w/apache/htdocs/mapserv-demo.html are:
  <h3>MapServer Itasca Demo Application</h3>

  The results after clicking on:
  c:/ms4w/apps/mapserv-demo/index.html
  and bringing up the initial demo page are as follows:

  Select - basic-application (click initialize)
  ---> Nothing happens.

  Select - dhtml-add-rubber band box (click - initialize)
  ---> The controls appear but no map is displayed.

  The windows alert box with the question about running
  c:/ms4w/apache/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe   is ***not***  asked
  in either of the the two test cases mentioned above.

  Regards,

  - John Rust

Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at dmsolutions.ca> wrote:
  Again, always respond to the mailing list. If u want direct support, we
have rates for that (http://shop.dmsolutions.ca/support.html).

Yes, any ms4w package must be extracted to the same root of your ms4w
base installation - yes overwrite directories and files.

jeff

john rust wrote:
> Jeff,
> Should I unzip mapserv_dem_ms4w directly to c:/ms4w but answer *NO* to
> overrwritting any existing directories or files?
> - John
>

> */Jeff McKenna /* wrote:
>
> it seems like your zip client is adding the zipfile name to all
> extracted
> paths. ouch.
>
> jeff
>

> >> 7) Unzip of mapserv_demo_ms4w results in this directory structure :
> >>
> >> c:/mapserv_demo_ms4w
> >> c:/mapserv_demo_ms4w/ms4w
> >> c:/mapserv_demo_ms4w/ms4w/apache
> >> c:/mapserv_demo_ms4w/ms4w/apps
> >> c:/mapserv_demo_ms4w/ms4w/httpd.d
> >> c:/mapserv_demo_ms4w/ms4w/apps/mapserv_demo
> >> c:/mapserv_demo_ms4w/ms4w/apps/mapserv_demo/index.html
> >>

> > it does? Are you using mapserv_demo_ms4w.zip from
> > http://www.maptools.org/ms4w/index.phtml?page=downloads.html? It
> does not
> > create a "c:/mapserv_demo_ms4w" folder. Are you saying that it does?
> >
> > jeff

DM Solutions Group Inc.
http://www.dmsolutions.ca