[ms4w-users] ms4w in Windows Vista??

Gattuso.Peter at epamail.epa.gov Gattuso.Peter at epamail.epa.gov
Mon Apr 23 07:08:42 EDT 2007

Jeff,
Thanks for your response.  I don't believe the problem is realted to
Vista security.  I have full administrator rights.  I also turned off
the "User Account Control" (that nuisance which pops up whenever you do
anything, to ask if you really want to do it.)
The error happens in ntdll.dll, which is what Windows uses to load DLLs
in general.  It's happening when PHP-Mapscript is loading its dlls.
Just as an experiment, I removed all the dlls, and started adding them
one-by-one, to see which one might be causing the error.  It happened
when I added libxml2.dll.  Since I am calling PHP from a C++ program, I
was able to suppress the general protection fault error, and then
Mapscript loaded and ran OK.  I guess I am not currently using any
functions from the offending dll.  So, it is sort of working, but there
is some underlying problem that is bound to come up again for someone.
Peter Gattuso
Office of Emergency Management (5104A)
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
1200 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
Washington, DC  20460
202-564-7993 (office)
202-564-2625 (fax)

             <jmckenna at dmsolu
             tions.ca>                                               To
             Sent by:                 ms4w-users at lists.maptools.org
             ms4w-users-bounc                                        cc
             es at lists.maptool
             s.org                                              Subject
                                      Re: [ms4w-users] ms4w in Windows
                                      Vista??
             04/19/2007 05:33
             PM

Yes I have run MS4W on Vista.  It seems the added security in Vista does

cause some problems, which could be related to your issues.  The MS4W
README has a few notes on Vista (for installing the Apache service):

http://www.maptools.org/ms4w/index.phtml?page=README_INSTALL.html#c-special-notes-for-microsoft-vista

Could it also be a permissions issue for your problems?

jeff

Gattuso.Peter at epamail.epa.gov wrote:
> I have been successfully running ms4w for well over a year, using
> php-mapscript, in Windows XP.  My application will not run in Windows
> Vista.  If I run my php file from the command line, Vista says:  "CLI
> has stopped working."  It's happening when the php script tries to
load
> the php_mapscript.dll.  When run from CGI, it says "Unable to load
> dynamic library ........php_mapscript.dll."
>
> Has anyone actually run ms4w (or anything MapServer) in Windows Vista?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Peter Gattuso
> U.S. EPA

DM Solutions Group Inc.