AW: [ms4w-users] gdal_step_by_step

Buchholz, Robert Robert.Buchholz at LUA.Brandenburg.de
Thu Nov 8 10:28:28 EST 2007

Hello Jeff, hello List,

first important steps are done (Thanks Jeff!)
A rectangular shapefile (myindex.shp) is created by doing as follows
1. commandline:
 C:/ms4w/setenv.bat
(2. commandline:
 C:\>gdalinfo --formats)
3. commandline:
for mrsid
 gdaltindex C:\ms4w\apps\chameleon\samples\data\sid\myindex.shp
G:\gisdata\...\mrsid\*.sid
or for tif:
 gdaltindex C:\ms4w\apps\chameleon\samples\data\tif\myindex.shp
G:\gisdata\...\tif\*.tif

This created the myindex.shp files and I can view them with desktop GIS
(spatially referenced rectangles).
I have in G:/ more than 1000 referenced images -next to each other-
covering the whole research area.

My application do not show the layer, when I write at the mapfile:
Map
		Extent...
		SHAPEPATH "../data"
		SHAPEPATH "G:/gisdata/.../tif"
Layer
	Group "catalog"
	Name Aerialimages
	Type Raster
	Status OFF
	TILEINDEX "./tif/myindex.shp"
	TILEITEM "Location"
	MINSCALE 5000
	MAXSCALE 200000

-do the created file by gdal have to be at the same folder as the
rasterdata?
-can I set two SHAPEPATH in the mapfile?
-might be a problem of too many layers?
-the drive G:/ is not available to the mapserver? (I tried unsuccessful
with some .shp data)

Any ideas and tips are welcome,
Robert