[ms4w-users] Windows Vista Fonts

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue Dec 2 09:11:17 EST 2008

dvrichard at hotmail.com wrote:
> Is there a trick to using fonts with Mapserver for Windows running on Vista?
>
> I created a fonts.list. I tried to put it in C:\windows\Fonts and was
> unablke to do so. (It kept trying to install the file)
>
> Then I put it in C:\users\public\local disk\windows\fonts and got the
> following message when I ran the script:
> msGetLabelSize(): TrueType Font error. Requested font (arial-bold) not
> found.
>
> I am brand new at this. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Dick

Hello,

Welcome to MapServer.  I am not sure about Vista-specific issues, but
you should be able to refer to the Windows font in your MapServer
fontset file.  If you are unsure of what a FONTSET parameter and file
is, I recommend that you download the MS4W add-on package named
'PHP/MapScript Sample Application' and look in the mapfile for a FONTSET
parameter, and then look at the /ms4w/apps/gmap/etc/fonts.txt for how to
refer to a specific font file.

If this still is confusing, I recommend that you go through the
MapServer tutorial: for the latest version, see the ms101 link at
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/dl/mapserver-workshop/

FOSS4G Consulting and Training Services
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/