[ms4w-users] Ruby Mapscript on Windows

hazzard43 at fastmail.fm hazzard43 at fastmail.fm
Sun Feb 1 19:54:08 EST 2009

(I originally asked this question on the mapserver-users list, and it
was suggested that I also try asking here.)

Does anybody have any advice on how to get Ruby Mapscript working on
Windows (2003), or does anybody have any pre-compiled Windows Ruby
Mapscript bindings? I'm a bit stuck finding a working version. The MS4W
package comes with C#, Java, PHP and Python bindings, but no Ruby, and I
haven't been able to find any online. I've tried compiling my own copy
of Mapserver using the Visual Studio .NET 2003 and the buildkit
available at http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/dl/buildkit/, and while I
can manage a working copy of mapserv.exe I haven't been able to compile
the Ruby bindings. I'm able to run 'ruby extconf.rb' and generate a
makefile, but running 'nmake' gets me some function redefinition errors
(for strnicmp and stricmp between string.h and mapserver.h).

If anybody's either had any experience generating the Ruby bindings on
Windows or has a precompiled set of files, any help would be
appreciated. I can supply more detailed information about the
environment or the errors if it'll help.

Thanks,

Peter

  hazzard43 at fastmail.fm