[MS4W-Users] SDE

Yves Moisan yves.moisan at boreal-is.com
Wed Jan 20 09:33:18 EST 2010

Hi All,

We have to connect to an ArcSDE 9.3.1 and I noticed that the MS4W we
have in place (2.3.1) has specialplugins dlls for 9.1 and 9.2.  I was
wondering if I could just use the specialplugins dll for 9.3 that ships
with MS4W 3.0.0B7 in my 2.3.1 or are the dlls dependent on the MapServer
version ?   Or am I good to go because the dll relies on code old enough
in MS that hasn't changed between 5.2.1 and whatever MS is shipped with
MS4W ?

Also, I'd like to know what the best practice is for SDE in the mapfile.
What is the difference between how CONNECTIONTYPE SDE [1] and
CONNECTIONTYPE PLUGIN [2] are handled ?  Any difference in performance,
ease of use, etc ?

TIA,

Yves

[1] http://mapserver.org/input/vector/arcsde.html