[MS4W-Users] Some problems installing ms4w Windows Server 2003 64 Bit

David Alda Fernandez de Lezea dalda at ikt.es
Wed May 19 09:57:09 EST 2010

Hello Jeff,

Ms4w version 3.0.0 beta11 was unable to be installed. We tried out all
the mentioned steps but it didn't work except 'Test 5)', because the
verion we really wanted to be installed was beta10, so we installed VC++
package and Apache was installed succesfully.

Thanks.

Hello David,

I will comment inline below:

David Alda Fernandez de Lezea wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install ms4w, but I get some strange issues:
>
> Ms4w version 2.3.1 -> It's installed correcly, and I can get it work.
>
> Ms4w version 3.0 beta10 -> Can't install Apache, it says that Apache
is not recognized as an command...

Beta10's Apache required the "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable
Package (x86)" to be installed on the system, but this requirement was
removed in Beta11.

> Ms4w version 300 beta11 -> Apache is installed with an error saying
that 'could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain
name '192.168.2.45' but going to localhost doesn't work.

I believe you have received a warning from Apache on your server.  You
could try the following tests:

Test 1) - goto 127.0.0.1 in a browser

Test 2) - goto 192.168.2.45 in a browser

Test 3) - edit /ms4w/Apache/conf/httpd.conf

         - replace line#163 with

            ServerName localhost

         - restart Apache

         - goto localhost in your browser

Test 4) - edit C:/WINDOWS/system32/drivers/etc/hosts

         - make sure there are the following lines

               127.0.0.1      localhost

         - restart the machine

         - goto localhost in your browser

         - if that does not work, try this in the hosts file instead:

               192.168.2.45   localhost

Test 5) - install MS4W on a difference machine and retry

> Does ms4w 3.0 work in Windows 2003 Server 64 Bit platform???

MS4W 3.0 beta11 was successfully tested on a Windows 2003 Server R2
32bit instance.

Thank you for using MS4W, I hope that it helps you share your spatial
information.

-jeff

http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/