[MS4W-Users] Some problems installing ms4w Windows Server 2003 64 Bit

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed May 19 07:44:17 EST 2010

Hello David,

I will comment inline below:

David Alda Fernandez de Lezea wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install ms4w, but I get some strange issues:
>
> Ms4w version 2.3.1 -> It's installed correcly, and I can get it work.
>
> Ms4w version 3.0 beta10 -> Can't install Apache, it says that Apache is not recognized as an command...

Beta10's Apache required the "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable
Package (x86)" to be installed on the system, but this requirement was
removed in Beta11.

> Ms4w version 300 beta11 -> Apache is installed with an error saying that 'could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name '192.168.2.45' but going to localhost doesn't work.

I believe you have received a warning from Apache on your server.  You
could try the following tests:

Test 1) - goto 127.0.0.1 in a browser

Test 2) - goto 192.168.2.45 in a browser

Test 3) - edit /ms4w/Apache/conf/httpd.conf

         - replace line#163 with

            ServerName localhost

         - restart Apache

         - goto localhost in your browser

Test 4) - edit C:/WINDOWS/system32/drivers/etc/hosts

         - make sure there are the following lines

               127.0.0.1      localhost

         - restart the machine

         - goto localhost in your browser

         - if that does not work, try this in the hosts file instead:

               192.168.2.45   localhost

Test 5) - install MS4W on a difference machine and retry

> Does ms4w 3.0 work in Windows 2003 Server 64 Bit platform???

MS4W 3.0 beta11 was successfully tested on a Windows 2003 Server R2
32bit instance.

Thank you for using MS4W, I hope that it helps you share your spatial
information.

-jeff

http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/