[MS4W-Users] "CLI has stopped working" on Windows Server 2007

Jeff Dege jeff.dege at korterra.com
Fri Nov 5 10:44:18 EST 2010

When using the Php CLI for precaching, I get a popup window with the following error:

    CLI has stopped working

   A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will
    Close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

Googling around found a number of references to this issue, mostly of people who seem to be stumbling around in the dark.  I've seen references to disabling the mysqli extension, which I've done, and to the problem having disappeared after upgrading php to 5.2.3, which is worthless since I'm using Php 5.2.6.

I'm using ms4w 2.3.1, which includes Php 5.2.6.

Is anyone aware of a real fix for this problem?  Google gives 5,060 results, dating back to 2007.  Surely someone has figured out what is going on.