[MS4W-Users] SDE workgroup vs shapefile performance thoughts

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri Dec 16 12:10:24 EST 2011

On 11-12-15 3:52 PM, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> On 12/15/2011 2:25 PM, Mark Volz wrote:
>> Hello,
>> We are considering using SDE workgroup as a data source for Mapserver.
>> Does anyone have any comments about the performance or usability of SDE
>> Workgroup compared to shapefiles?

You might get an understanding of speed comparisons (of flat files vs
DB) by reviewing some of the past WMS benchmarking numbers (e.g. in 2010
shp and Postgres/PostGIS was compared:
http://www.slideshare.net/gatewaygeomatics.com/wms-performance-shootout-2010).

But as Mike said they rely on Oracle/SDE/MapServer heavily and are very
happy with performance.

-jeff

http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/