[MS4W-Users] Server hardware considerations?

Sacha Black sacha.black at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 15:45:31 EST 2012

What would be hardware considerations for a good all around web map
server based on MS4W? Nabble search seemed to be down, so I couldn't
look for earlier summaries of this type of question.

"all around" = home to:

- Mapserver with long list of WMS services (100+)
- a few raster tile caches (~30 GB)
- mySQL db
- PostGIS db w/ osm data for 3-5 US states
- gis data store in the range of 500-750GB

Whole thing probably gets about 4-5000 unique visitors a month, so
it's probably considered low traffic. It is also stand-alone, does
everything on it's own: rendering, tile-slinging, etc.

My main questions are about disk type/space configurations and
processors. I would tend to spend my money more on the former than the
latter, and then max out RAM, but don't know if this is the right
approach. No idea about number of processors or cores or how that is
important.