[MS4W-Users] Problems to install ms4w in windows7 (64bit)

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri Jan 6 08:51:26 EST 2012

On 12-01-06 7:27 AM, Jan Tappenbeck wrote:
>    Hi !
>
> i try to install ms4w in windows7 64bit and there are many problems....
>
> the source is [1] rel. 3.0.3
>
> to install the software i try to run osgeo4w.bat - but the PATH-Variable
> will not add automaticlly - so i try manuell.
>
> in the next line there sould be run some bat-files in the folder -
> %OSGEO4W%\etc\ini ->  the folder etc exists; but ini not - there only is
> a folder setup with non-bat-files !!!!
>
> at last i try to run setenv.bat manuell - but sorry the PATH will not
> added. in my opion i am missing the drive-letter ...?
> set
> PATH=\ms4w\Apache\cgi-bin;\ms4w\tools\gdal-ogr;\ms4w\tools\mapserv;\ms4w\tools\shapelib;\ms4w\proj\bin;\ms4w\tools\shp2tile;\ms4w\tools\shpdiff;\ms4w\tools\avce00;\ms4w\python\gdal;%PATH%
>
> next there will be added some other Variables like GDAL_DATA - here i am
> missing drive-letters agains and then i try a test by following command:
>
> echo %GDAL_DATA% - but no value will show.
>
> can anyone help me ?
>
> regards Jan
>
> [1] http://www.maptools.org/dl/ms4w/ms4w_3.0.3.zip

Hmm.  Your email contains mention of OSGeo4W and MS4W - two different
installers, which, confuses me.

If you are using MS4W - when you use the zip archive (ms4w_3.0.3.zip)
you are forced to extract it at the root of your drive (so you'll have
C:/ms4w for example).  Then setenv.bat will work for you.   However if
you want to install MS4W somewhere other than the drive root, then use
the .exe installer and select the location to install MS4W.

Happy new year :)

-jeff

http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/