[MS4W-Users] python GDAL

Netherton, Kevin J FLNR:EX Kevin.Netherton at gov.bc.ca
Mon Mar 12 12:00:05 EST 2012

Hey all

I'm trying to get the python bindings to GDAL working with the MS4W I recently downloaded.  The version that I downloaded was:

http://www.maptools.org/dl/ms4w/ms4w-3.0.4-setup.exe

After setting up paths etc for my project, when I try to import the module gdal or ogr I get the following error message:

import _gdal

Looking a little deeper if I run dependency walker on the _gdal.pyd it says that it requires GDAL17.DLL, however it looks like every other part of the MS4W package uses GDAL19.DLL, and that is also the GDAL19.DLL that package ships.

Is anyone able to get python and gdal working using the version referenced above?

Any help getting python and the gdal libraries to work would be greatly appreciated.  Can anyone confirm that this is the problem

Cheers

Kevin

P.S.  I've been able to build a working installation by combining pieces from the ms4w package (referenced above) and the packages available here http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk/.  Would be great to be able to simplify the process required to create a working installation.