[MS4W-Users] MS4W and JP2000 (.jp2)

James_in_Utah James.Evans at hill.af.mil
Thu Mar 7 22:09:33 EST 2013

Hi,
I've installed MS4W on a WinServer2003 R2 box at work, in hopes of serving
4TB of NAIP data we are about to acquire from USGS.  That data comes in
(JP2000) and they sent me a CD with 4 sample images to test.  I've tried
everything I can think of to get get MS4W to serve them.  I tried pointing a
layer directly at one of the .jp2 files.  I tried adding the four files to a
shape file index using gdaltindex.  I don't think that worked, but I didn't
get an error.  I don't think it worked because if I open the shape file I
don't see the polygons where the images should be.  Nothing seems to work.
I then used Global Mapper to convert the files to tifs.  That works great.
I can point a layer directly at a tif, and it serves it up fine.  I can add
the tifs to an index and I can then see all 4.  I did seem to loose
resolution in the conversion, and the borders of the 4 tifs isn't exactly
correct, so maybe my projection is wrong?  Anyway, from the documentation I
think I saw that jp2 was built in?  Is that correct?