[MS4W-Users] MS4W and JP2000 (.jp2)

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 13:53:14 EST 2013

If you type
   gdalinfo --formats
it will list the formats that are available. Mine lists
   JP2MrSID (rov): MrSID JPEG2000
But not all JPEG2000 are equal. The JPEG2000 allows a lot of variation
within the JPEG2000 format "umbrella", so it's possible that GDAL can not
read your files. Try doing
   gdalinfo your_file.jp2
That might give you some clues.

Regardless, you might want to convert them to tiled TIFF's with internal
jpeg compression and overlays for performance.

Rich

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 8:09 PM, James_in_Utah <James.Evans at hill.af.mil>wrote:

> Hi,
> I've installed MS4W on a WinServer2003 R2 box at work, in hopes of serving
> 4TB of NAIP data we are about to acquire from USGS.  That data comes in
> (JP2000) and they sent me a CD with 4 sample images to test.  I've tried
> everything I can think of to get get MS4W to serve them.  I tried pointing
> layer directly at one of the .jp2 files.  I tried adding the four files to
> shape file index using gdaltindex.  I don't think that worked, but I didn't
> get an error.  I don't think it worked because if I open the shape file I
> don't see the polygons where the images should be.  Nothing seems to work.
> I then used Global Mapper to convert the files to tifs.  That works great.
> I can point a layer directly at a tif, and it serves it up fine.  I can add
> the tifs to an index and I can then see all 4.  I did seem to loose
> resolution in the conversion, and the borders of the 4 tifs isn't exactly
> correct, so maybe my projection is wrong?  Anyway, from the documentation I
> think I saw that jp2 was built in?  Is that correct?
>

> --

Richard Greenwood
richard.greenwood at gmail.com
www.greenwoodmap.com