[MS4W-Users] Mapcache usage

James_in_Utah James.Evans at hill.af.mil
Fri Nov 1 00:37:23 EST 2013

Hi,
I'm trying the new dev release, with mapcache, and am unclear on how
mapcache is supposed to work.  I have the WMS up and running, and I have a
layer defined in the .map file called NaturalEarth.  In the map file, the
WMS is named RADESWMS.  My wms clients can see that NaturalEarth layer just
fine.

I configured the mapcache.xml file and it has a tileset named
"NaturalEarth1", with a source called "RADESWMS".  Here's the code for the
source:

   <source name="RADESWMS" type="wms">
      <http>
         <url>http://127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?</url>
      </http>
      <getmap>
         <params>
            <MAP>C:/ms4w/Apache/cgi-bin/servemap.map</MAP>
            <FORMAT>image/png</FORMAT>
            <LAYERS>NaturalEarth</LAYERS>
         </params>
      </getmap>
   </source>

Here's the code for the tileset:

   <tileset name="NaturalEarth1">
      <source>RADESWMS</source>
      <cache>disk</cache>
      <format>PNG_BEST</format>
      <grid>WGS84</grid>
   </tileset>

I ran the demo, and I can see the natural earth map, and tiles are created
in the temp folder.  My question is how do I point a wms client at the
mapcache?  When I do a GetCapabilities on the WMS server, it doesn't tell me
about NaturalEarth1.  Maybe I don't understand how this is supposed to work.
Thanks,
James