[OSRS-PROJ] problem with azimuth and distance

Gerald I. Evenden gevenden at capecod.net
Mon Jun 5 13:08:06 EDT 2000

Answer: very simple, you have a great circle route and except for
N-S lines and E-W lines on the equator, none of these will follow
a parallel or meridian.  Think of the inverse problem.  Take two
points on a parallel and not on the equator.  The line will bow away
from the parallel, reaching a maximum N-S deviation from the parallel
midway between the points.  The forward and back azimuth will
be less than 90 degrees (northern hemisphere) and opposite in sign.
As the two points become more widely separated---still on the
same parallel, the |azimuth| decreases and eventuall will become
zero when the two points are separated by 180 degrees in longitude.

Its why you fly over Greenland getting from LA to Europe.

You are dealing with a geodesic line or great circle route not a
rhumb line or loxodrome represented by straight lines on a Mercator
projection.

Jerry Evenden and the Low Riders, Katie and  Daisy May
gevenden at capecod.net  http://www.capecod.net/~gevenden