[OSRS-PROJ] problem with azimuth and distance

Pedro Morón Macías pmoron at sainsel.es
Tue Jun 6 03:04:05 EDT 2000

OK, now it's clear to me.
Let's go farther:
Is there any way to follow a non great circle route using the proj.4
library? For example: I want to determine a point in the 80 degrees
North parallel 100 miles away from one given in the 80 degrees parallel
too.

"Gerald I. Evenden" wrote:

> Answer: very simple, you have a great circle route and except for
> N-S lines and E-W lines on the equator, none of these will follow
> a parallel or meridian.  Think of the inverse problem.  Take two
> points on a parallel and not on the equator.  The line will bow away
> from the parallel, reaching a maximum N-S deviation from the parallel
> midway between the points.  The forward and back azimuth will
> be less than 90 degrees (northern hemisphere) and opposite in sign.
> As the two points become more widely separated---still on the
> same parallel, the |azimuth| decreases and eventuall will become
> zero when the two points are separated by 180 degrees in longitude.
>
> Its why you fly over Greenland getting from LA to Europe.
>
> You are dealing with a geodesic line or great circle route not a
> rhumb line or loxodrome represented by straight lines on a Mercator
> projection.

> Jerry Evenden and the Low Riders, Katie and  Daisy May
> gevenden at capecod.net  http://www.capecod.net/~gevenden

Pedro Moron Macias                         Ingeniero Industrial
SAINSEL Sistemas Navales, S.A.          Manuel Velasco Pando, 7
41007 SEVILLA - SPAIN                  mailto:pmoron at sainsel.es
Tel.:+34-954936401, Fax :+34-954936433, Home Tel.:+34-639349940