[OSRS-PROJ] gauss-krueger/transverse mercator

Gerald I. Evenden gevenden at capecod.net
Mon Jun 12 10:17:56 EDT 2000

In some instances, I have heard that GK (Gauss_Kruger) only applied to
5 zones centered on 3E, 9E, 15E, ... ---European coverage.  Regarding
the German grid you mentioned, it seems strange to use 500,000m easting
when the zones are only 3 degrees wide, half the GK/UTM width.

Any reading where the easting exceed 500,000m is obviously seriously
in error and/or the wrong zone (CM) was specified.  Same if the easting
is negative.

Incidentally, are you capable of specifying the zone number to the Garmin?
Seems to me that would be required especially when you are on the seam
between zones and can use either.

As for southern latitudes and GK, I have never heard, but I would think
that 10,000,000m false northing would apply.  If it is labelled as a German
system, then southern latitudes don't apply so why bother with a false
northing.

A trouble with the Gauss-Kruger nomenclature is that it means two
different things:
1) a method of computing the transverse Mercator projection
2) a coordinate system identical to UTM except for zone numbering

>From your description of the "German" grid system, this is not
the same as GK.
Jerry Evenden and the Low Riders, Katie and  Daisy May
gevenden at capecod.net  http://www.capecod.net/~gevenden