[OSRS-PROJ] gauss-krueger/transverse mercator

The MapRef Collection mapref at geocities.com
Mon Jun 12 12:23:01 EDT 2000

"Gerald I. Evenden" wrote:

> In some instances, I have heard that GK (Gauss_Kruger) only applied to
> 5 zones centered on 3E, 9E, 15E, ... ---European coverage.  Regarding
> the German grid you mentioned, it seems strange to use 500,000m easting
> when the zones are only 3 degrees wide, half the GK/UTM width.

This is not correct.
GK may be mathematically treated the same as UTM using for both the transverse mercator formulae.

   * UTM has a scale factor of 0.9996 and zone width of 6°
   * GK therefor has a scale factor of 1.0000 and implementations with 3° Zones (Germany, Austria,
     Easter-Germany, Kroatia, Russia...), but there exist als 6° Zones eg. also in Russia etc, (china has
     zones for 1.5°3°,6°width ...)
   * GK sometimes only is used for the projection type of transverse mercator, but with varying scale,
     zone width ... (e.g gauss-boaga in Italy (scals similar to utm, australia (s=0.99994, zone=2°)

the easting of 500'000m is established for UTM as well as for GK (to avoid negative numbers and to be
symmetrically beyond the central meridian.

for UTM, sometimes you find the zone number previously attached to eastings, but often, an own field for
the zone is found for this information.

the zone description for the eastings in GK varies from country to country and may not be included. the
inclusion gives problem due to the numerical Resolution of real numbers ...
the false northing also may vary from country to country ..
china: 0M northern hemisphere, 10000000 southern hemisphere
australia: 5000000m
and so on.
Many of these definitions may also be found at http://www.geocities.com/mapref/mapref.html

--
The MapRef-Collection
The First Address for Map Projections and Reference Systems