[OSRS-PROJ] gauss-krueger/transverse mercator

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Mon Jun 12 18:49:55 EDT 2000

On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 05:48:24PM -0400, Gerald I. Evenden wrote:
> A couple of elements caught my eye here and represent modifications
> to PROJ.4 that are not part of the USGS distribution.  I am curious
> as to what the parameter definitions are:
>
> +unfact= ???

This is queried in
proj4/get_proj.c

> +k= ???
>
> "k" is terminology for the scale factor anywhere while k_0 refers to
> a scale factor at a specific location.  I don't think dropping the _0 wise
> or meaningful.
I guess it is the scale factor as being 0.99996 for UTM and 1.0 for
Gauss-Krueger.

> As for "unfact" I have absolutely *no* idea what that is.
This I cannot recall, but was told it once when wondering about it.
Sorry - no help today...

Morten Hulden <morten at ngb.se>, who updated the m.proj of GRASS 5,
explained it to me last year.

Sorry to be no more help (but proj4 and m.proj work well!)

 Markus Neteler