[OSRS-PROJ] gauss-krueger/transverse mercator

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Tue Jun 13 04:42:32 EDT 2000

[cc to Morten Hulden morten at ngb.se]

On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 08:42:02PM -0400, Gerald I. Evenden wrote:
> +k rather than the preferred +k_0 may be an artifact that I left in the USGS
> distribution.  I will have to check.
Yes, perhaps:

more PROJ.4/CHANGE-LOG
Rel. 4.1 93/3/8 Base-line --- @(#)CHANGE-LOG    4.14 95/09/23 GIE REL
93/3/20
        pj_init -- added +k_0 as alternative to +k so as to match
        documentation.
[...]

> The "+unfact" option *is not* of my doing and comes from some non-USGS
> distribution.  I'm mystified and curious of its purpose.

The file src/libes/get_proj.c (in GRASS) was developed by CERL
long time ago and added to the PROJ4 directory. It provides some
functions for GRASS to use the PROJ4 routines directly instead
of calling the "proj" in a script mode.
There are three functions provided:

int pj_get_kv(info, in_proj_keys, in_units_keys)
int pj_get_string(info, str)
int pj_zero_proj(info)

You can access the current file directly to look at it:
http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/grass/src/libes/proj/get_proj.c

The software used in GRASS 5 is:
    -------------------- P R O J . 4 --------------------
                      @(#)README        4.11 95/09/24 GIE REL"
This is Release 4.3 of cartographic projection software.

The software used in GRASS 4.x was PROJ4.2.

> Since I see "m." I suppose it is a product of the GRASS people.
The m.proj is a GRASS module to control the PROJ4 software.
The GRASS 5 version always outputs the command line calling the
"proj" tool. There I got the string I posted yesterday to convert
Gauss-Krueger to Lat/Long and reverse.

> As some may be unaware, I authored the original PROJ.4 as distributed
> by the USGS kai.er.usgs.gov site.
We are grateful to your for your distribution of PROJ4.

Please note that the unchanged PROJ4 was included in GRASS.
>From the GRASS sources it reads:
src/libes/proj/README

This is PROJ4.3.3 from kai.er.usgs.edu

Added in GRASS 5 beta4d (16. Sept. 1999)

--------
Morten, could you please teach me/us about "unfact" parameter?
I shall store it somewhere in GRASS sources.

Kind regards

 Markus Neteler

> Jerry Evenden and the Low Riders, Katie and  Daisy May
> gevenden at capecod.net  http://www.capecod.net/~gevenden

Dipl.-Geogr. Markus Neteler *  University of Hannover
Institute of Physical Geography and Landscape Ecology
Schneiderberg 50 * D-30167 Hannover * Germany
Tel: ++49-(0)511-762-4494  Fax: -3984