[OSRS-PROJ] Re: GEOD Quandary

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Nov 30 11:11:03 EST 2000

"Gerald I. Evenden" wrote:

> >From below:
>
> geod +ellps=WGS84 +lat_1=45d19'N +lon_1=075d34'W +lat_2=44d15'N
> +lon_2=76d34'W +n_S=20 > c:\output.txt
>
> All I can say is: "huh?"  The last I looked, geod does not have "+lat_1=
> ..." arguments.
> All data to be converted are obtained from either sysin or files specified
> on the runline!

Gerald,

This paragraph is from the geod man page.  I certainly didn't add this
functionality!  However, the suggest to input values via stdin certain
helps avoid issues with shell escaping.

       Geod may also be used  to  determine  intermediate  points
       along  either  a geodesic line between two points or along
       an arc of specified distance from a geographic point.   In
       both  cases  an  initial  point  must  be  specified  with
       +lat_1=lat and +lon_1=lon parameters and either a terminus
       point  +lat_2=lat and +lon_2=lon or a distance and azimuth
       from the initial point  with  +S=distance  and  +A=azimuth
       must be specified.