[OSRS-PROJ] Re: nad2nad - update

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jan 30 09:07:55 EST 2001

raler at my-deja.com wrote:

> We have read the nad2nad man pages and cannot get it to work.  We don't
> know if we have the syntax wrong or if we are missing some
> configuration files. We tried:
>
>           >nad2nad -i 27,spcs=3501,feet -o 83,spcs=3501,feet -r conus -
> 2621567.03 412678.73
>
>         Rel. 4.4.2, 15 July 2000
>         <nad2nad>:
>         datum file: conus, failed: no system list, errno: 2
>
>         program abnormally terminated
>
>           >

> and several variations of the above.  Can someone help us out with
> this?  We want to use stdin/stdout.
>
> Another thing is that unlike the data files that came with proj (*.lla)
> we have 2 files for each state e.g. *.los and *.las. The Conus files
> also have one with each extension (2 files). Does nad2nad support this?

Ryan,

You need to run te "nad2bin" program on the .lla files to produce binary
files.  For instance:

 nad2bin conus < conus.lla

I think the conus.lla is the same as the conus.las, and the conus file is
the same as the conus.los, but I am not absolutely sure.

Once you have built binary versions of the grid shift files, you may need to
set the PROJ_LIB environment variable to point to the directory holding them.
I must confess that a "make install" on unix will take care of all this but
that the windows binary distribution is less well organized.

You might want to take further questions to the PROJ.4 mailing list.

PS. I tried your call on my system, and got the following results:

warmerda at gdal3[127]% nad2nad -i 27,spcs=3501,feet -o 83,spcs=3501,feet -r conus -
2621567.03 412678.73
2589971.92      412722.31