[OSRS-PROJ] Build problems with GEOTiff and PROJ

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Aug 12 19:37:19 EDT 2002

Hopper wrote:

> I've compiled and installed PROJ.4, built from the latest stable source
> using GCC 2.96 on Mandrake 8.2. Install went good, and ldconfig -v shows a
> functional link to the library. I went with the default install location,
> and added the appropriate path into lib conf:   libproj.so.0 ->
> libproj.so.0.3.1
>
> When attempting to build GEOTiff with the --with-proj, the configure script
> fails to find the proj libraries. Here's the error, verbatim:
>
> [...]
> PROJ_HOME=yes, but either projects.h or libproj.a not found!
> checking for pj_init in -lproj... (cached) no
> checking for projects.h... (cached) no
> [...]
>
> When giving a path to the proj library, I was still unsuccessful. Does
> GEOTiff need to be built against the PROJ source? I've been assuming that it
> was merely looking for the location of the directory.

Nathan,

The "(cached) no" can result from doing a configure with an old
config.cache around.  I would suggest removing it and seeing if the
problem still remains.

If that still fails, delete config.status again and configure with
"--with-proj=/usr/local" and see if that works.  If not, verify that
you have an installed /usr/local/include/projects.h, and
/usr/local/lib/libproj.a.