[OSRS-PROJ] Re: mpoly - modified polyconic

Strebe at aol.com Strebe at aol.com
Tue Dec 10 00:00:22 EST 2002

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Does anyone know anything about the 'mpoly' (Modified Polyconic) projection?
> As pointed out by a PROJ.4 user, there doesn't seem to be any actual
> implementation code for this projection in PJ_mpoly.c.   Can anyone think
> of any reason I shouldn't just remove all reference to this projection?

Several projections have acquired that name, and indeed is has been used as a
category name. But by far the most important was Charles Lallemand's, which
the International Map Committee adopted in 1909 for the International Map of
the World series. Its use continued until 1962. Snyder gives formulae in

Map Projections -- A Working Manual (USGS Professional Paper 1395) 1987, pp.
131-137

Regards,
daan Strebe