[OSRS-PROJ] Proj4 documentation

Peter S Galbraith GalbraithP at dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Tue Jun 18 13:56:16 EDT 2002

Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:

> Mike Schmidt wrote:
> > Hello Peter
> >
> > Absolutely. The intent is that the documentation be free, source
> > included. Of course, we have to maintain some form of copyright, I
> > think. Exactly what license this implies, I don't know yet. If you can
> > help with that, I'll appreciate it, having only very little experience
> > in these matters.
>
> Mike,
>
> Well, in the interest of simplicity, it would be nice to put it under
> the same license as the rest of PROJ.4.  One issue is whether you are
> willing to let commercial users of PROJ.4 modify and incorporate the
> PROJ.4 documentation into their own documentation sets or not.  I
> would prefer that this is possible

In the same vein, having a proj-compatible license would allow someone
to create a GUI capable of displaying parts of the manual in a
context-sensitive manner.  You might consider using the current proj
license verbatim.  It's about as free as a license can get, and it
wouldn't infect a project combined with proj in a way the GPL would.

Peter