[OSRS-PROJ] Reprojecting a point with CS2CS

Matt Lynch matt at terraengine.com
Mon Apr 21 10:53:28 EDT 2003

Hi,

I am trying to do some coordinate transformations with the cs2s utility.
I think I have the syntax correct, but the accuracy is off (I am using
ESRI ArcView to check the values).  Perhaps my problem is really not
understanding either PROJ.4 or the ArcView application.

My test point is

Lat/long
GRS80
Unprojected
112.8330W
51.3275N

My first transformation is below:

C:\proj4>type wim.coord
112.8330W 51.3275N
C:\proj4>cs2cs +proj=latlong +ellps=GRS80 +to +proj=utm +zone=11
+ellps=GRS80 <wim.coord
790277.46       5694492.75 0.000

C:\proj4>

I reprojected the same point using ESRI with the following settings:

Category: UTM-1983
Type: Zone 11
Projection: Transverse Mercator
Spheriod: GRS80
Central Meridian: -117
Ref Lat: 0
Scale factor: 0.9996
False E: 500000
False N: 0

And get - 790298,5694496.266518

You can see it is close but not quite on.  Any suggestions would be most
appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

---